Airport Safety Improvement Program

Airport Improvement

A Safety Improvement Program at the Lake in the Hills Airport is underway.  This program is funded through Federal and State grants which cover 95% of the project costs.  The remaining 5% comes from local funds generated by airport revenues.  No taxpayer dollars or money from the Village is utilized for these safety improvements.  The program includes several projects aimed at aligning airport facilities with current FAA standards.  The end result is an enhanced safety environment and increased efficiency of airport operations.

Why is This Program Important?

Originally a privately owned airport, Lake in the Hills 3CK Airport was not required to be constructed to meet FAA standards.  In 1984, the Village of Lake in the Hills acquired the airport and it became a public airport open for general aviation use.  In addition, being a reliever to O’Hare, the FAA has mandated that the airport must be brought into compliance with current FAA safety standards, which requires funding and time.  As such, the FAA has granted a temporary waiver known as a modification of standards (M.O.S), allowing for the airport to continue to operate despite not meeting current FAA standards.  As noted, this is a temporary condition and the airport must be brought into compliance.  The Airport Safety Improvement Program is aimed at bringing the airport into compliance with current FAA Safety Standards.

Airport Safety Improvement Projects

The following summarizes significant projects that make up the Safety Improvement Program.  These are categorized as completed, underway or future projects.  Scheduling and staging of future projects are subject to change depending on FAA and State funding availability and appropriation.

Replacement Fuel Facility - Completed October 2015.

Demolition of Runway Object Free Area Building - August 2016
The demolition of the Airport Administration building is necessary to allow for relocation of the east portion of the parallel taxiway.  The building is directly in the path of the new taxiway.  Bids for this project will be opened on January 15, 2016.

Relocate Four Hangers for Taxiway Relocation - August 2016
The relocation of four hangars is a precursor to the final phase of the east portion of the parallel taxiway.  These hangars are too close to the new taxiway location to allow aircraft to transit the area safely.  The plan is to move these hangars to the south side of the existing T-hangars and build several additional tiedowns to accompany them.

Construct Taxiway, Phase II (East End of New Taxiway) - Underway
This project will complete the work started three years ago when the west portion of the parallel taxiway was relocated.  The taxiway does not meet Federal Aviation Administration standards because it is too close to the runway.  This project will correct that major safety deficiency.  Bids will be opened on January 15, 2016.

Future Plans:

  • Reconstruct and Widen Runway (2018 projection)
  • Extend perimeter fencing
  • Build access road to new terminal area (phase 1)
  • Construct midfield apron area
  • Install Water Service to South Apron
  • Install Sanitary Service to South Apron
  • Construct Access Road to New Terminal Area (Phase II)
  • Construct Replacement Hangar Pavements
  • Construct Auto Parking