The building permit is a tool to ensure established standards for design and construction are followed by anyone constructing or altering a structure or installing different projects within the community. Both zoning and building code compliance are reviewed and approved before a building permit will be issued. The building design and construction standards have been created to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the community.
A pre-construction meeting for any major remodeling or new construction project is recommended. An appointment can be made by calling the Village Hall at 847-960-7400. The checklist for the 2012 International Energy Conservation Code can be viewed here.
Steps to Obtain a Building Permit
Information about the building permit process can be found below. When you are ready to begin the process, complete the application, attach the appropriate documentation and bring it to the Village Hall at 600 Harvest Gate. Upon approval of the application, a fee for the permit will be assessed.
- Determine whether a permit is necessary by visiting this page.
- Check zoning regulations, setbacks, clearances, etc.
- Check relevant Village Ordinances. There are handouts with specific procedures for many types of permits.
- Homeowners should have their projects approved by their Homeowner’s Association. Village approval is based on relevant codes and zoning and is not contingent on Homeowner's Association regulations or approvals.
- Homeowners may do many of their own construction projects.
- A contractor must be licensed by the Village of Lake in the Hills to work in the Village. The Village Hall maintains a current list of licensed contractors within the Village. As this list changes almost daily, we ask that you contact the Village Hall at 847-960-7400 to check if a contractor is licensed with the Village before you hire them.
- Please visit the Village Hall to obtain the appropriate Building Permit Applications and/or Project Requirement Brochures.
- If you are not sure whether you need a permit, please call the Village Hall at 847-960-7400.
- Permits for an air conditioner, furnace, roofing/siding, water heater and water softener may be applied for online at the link below.
Plumbing inspections are available Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Projects Requiring a Permit
Permits are required for construction of any type, including all new construction, any building addition and any remodeling that changes a building's structure, plumbing, electrical, or heating systems.
Please contact the Village Hall at 847-960-7400 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions on whether or not a permit is required for your project.
Online Permits are available for A/C units, furnaces, roofing, siding, water heaters, and water softeners through our online permit portal.