Contractors must be licensed by the Village to work within Lake in the Hills.
To obtain a contractor's license, an online application and any required documents must be submitted through our Public Portal along with a $75.00 fee through the ePay system. You may instead complete the Contractor's License Application and submit it with your supporting documentation to Village Hall. If submitting by mail, please include your payment with your application
Below is a list of required documents that must be uploaded to accompany your online application.
- Certificate of Insurance showing $1,000,000 minimum coverage for general liability, each occurrence, and product and completed operations. The Village of Lake in the Hills must be listed as the certificate holder.
- A surety bond for $10,000 listing the Village of Lake in the Hills as the certificate holder. Per the Municipal Code Chapter 38.02, a hold harmless statement must be included on the surety bond.
- Certificate of Good Standing from the Illinois Secretary of State is required for corporations and LLCs. It is not necessary to purchase the actual certificate. A screenshot of the business record from the ilsos.gov website is acceptable.
- Plumbing contractors must submit a letter of intent for the work they will be doing, as well as a copy of the 055 and 058 licenses. A certificate of insurance and a surety bond are not required for plumbers.
- Electrical contractors need to provide a current copy of their electrical license in addition to the certificate of insurance, surety bond, and proof of good standing from the State of Illinois.
Roofing, plumbing, and sprinkler contractors only need to submit a copy of their State of Illinois License. The Certificate of Insurance, surety bond, and $75.00 fee are not required for roofing, plumbing, and sprinkler contractors.
The Lake in the Hills contractor registration fee of $75.00 is valid January 1 - December 31. License Applications are considered incomplete until payment is received for the registration fee. Online credit/debit card payments can be made on the Village’s ePay website. A 2.35% convenience fee will apply. You will need your license confirmation number that starts with an L followed by 6 digits to make the online payment.
Home Repair & Remodeling Act
Illinois Compiled Statute 815 ILCS 513 Home Repair & Remodeling Act requires contractors doing home repairs to provide a Consumer Rights Brochure to customers. For contracts over $1,000, an acknowledgment form signed by the homeowner and contractor is required.
The Public Portal allows residents, contractors, and businesses to apply for certain building permits, check the status of their permit, apply for a contractor's or business license, request an inspection and report code violations. Find out if your project requires a permit.