All Freedom of Information requests can be submitted online through JustFOIA.
Requestors will need to create a username and password. Please keep the username and password for future requests. Once created, please log in and select either “Request for Public Records – Police Department” or “Request for Public Records – Other. Please complete all fields and then click the “submit” button. Requestors will then receive an email with a “Request Number” and a “Security Key” that can be used to check the status of the record request. Once the Village/Police Department has completed the request, the requestor will receive another email stating that the documents are ready and to log back in. The requestor will need the “Request Number” and “Security Key” in order to retrieve the documents.
For all Non-Police Related FOIA Requests:
Freedom of Information Officer
Village of Lake in the Hills
600 Harvest Gate
Lake in the Hills, Illinois 60156
For all Police Related FOIA Requests:
Freedom of Information Officer
Lake in the Hills Police Department
1115 Crystal Lake Road
Lake in the Hills, IL 60156
The Village shall respond to any Request filed pursuant to Section II of these FOIA Rules within five (5) Business Days after such Request is received by the Freedom of Information Officer. If the request is for commercial purposes, the Village shall respond within 21 Business Days after receipt.
(c-10, “Commercial purpose” means the use of any part of a public record or records, or information derived from public records in any form for sale, resale or solicitation or advertisement for sales or services. For purposes of this definition, requests made by news media and non-profit scientific or academic organizations shall not be considered to be made for a “commercial purpose” when the principal purpose of the request is (i) to access and disseminate information concerning news and current or passing events, (ii) for articles of opinion or features of interest to the public, or (iii) for the purpose of academic, scientific, or public research or education.)
Records Available Immediately
The following Public Records are immediately available to the public in electronic format:
- Current Year Meeting Agendas and Public Notices
- Current and Historical Minutes
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- Municipal Code
- Zoning Ordinance
- Subdivision Control Ordinance
- Comprehensive Plan
Fees for FOIA Requests
- First 50 letter/legal pages (black & white copies): Free
- Over 50 letter/legal pages: $0.15 per page
- Color and oversized copies shall be charged the actual cost of the reproduction
- Certification: $1.00 per document, plus copy costs
- Traffic Accident Reports: $5.00 each (per the Illinois Vehicle Code Section 5/11-416 Furnishing copies - Fees)
- If request includes reproduction on electronic media, the actual cost of this media
- If the services of an outside vendor are required to copy any public record, you shall pay the actual charges that the Village incurs in connection with such copying services.