The Village offers a number of programs that help residents get involved in their community. Learn more about these opportunities below or visit the Volunteer Center of McHenry County website.
The Village of Lake in the Hills partners with the InnerView program. InnerView is the leading youth platform to help students, groups, and schools highlight community service impacts, passion for causes, and opportunities to connect local efforts to the UN Global Goals. These goals transform community service as an actionable path to better our communities and our world.
Other local events that need volunteers are the annual Summer Sunset Festival in September, the Flurry Fest in December, and our many other events throughout the year. To volunteer for one of our programs, events, or service projects, click the link below for a list of opportunities.
The Village of Lake in the Hills is home to 34 parks. The Adopt-a-Park program gives residents, businesses, and organizations an opportunity to make a positive impact right in their neighborhood. The Adopt-a-Park program gives adopting agencies an opportunity to initiate projects at the adopted park, complementing the the Village’s full responsibility to maintain parks.
- A program to increase resident awareness and pride in the community’s parks.
- A low-key, informal program for scouts, homeowner’s associations, and clubs in the community.
- Community groups benefit embracing an opportunity to assemble and work toward a common goal.
- The program instills a sense of pride in the community and its parks.
- Adopting agencies are recognized with a sign hung under the adopted park’s formal entrance sign.
- Adopting agencies will be the guest of the Village at an annual picnic in the park to honor their participation in the program.
- Assisting the Village by reporting problems.
- Planning picnics, games, clean up days, etc., in their adopted park.
- Initiating beautification projects, such as planting flowers or ground covers, adding benches or other park amenities, maintaining current landscaping areas, or working on other projects that further enhance the adopted park.
Download the Adopt-a-Park Program Application to get started.
Each summer, there are three major events at Sunset Park that depend on volunteers for success. Learn more about these opportunities on their event pages and contact the operating organizations to get involved:
- Pub in the Park: A craft beer festival run by the People for Parks Foundation of Lake in the Hills
- Rockin’ Rib Fest: A rib festival run by the Lake in the Hills Rotary Club
- Summer Sunset Festival: A festival run by the Summer Sunset Festival Committee and sponsored by the Village of Lake in the Hills
There are two food pantries in the nearby area where members of the community may volunteer: